A piece of mine is airing tonight on Olympic Zone about Geno Auriemma, the coach of the women's basketball team. I had been warned that Geno is a moody guy, but he was extremely generous with his time and gave us a great interview. He also allowed us to put a mic on him during practice so we could get some sound of him "in action". The entire experience was night and day compared to my interview with the coach of the men's team four years ago in Beijing. Mike Krzyzewski wasn't nearly as accommodating. I've never forgotten that, Coach K ;).
For the story we interviewed some of Geno's former players at UConn, including Sue Bird pictured below. Sue looks completely different than she did when she was a Husky. She must be on a different fitness routine or diet plan or something -- Geno said she's even quicker than she was when she was in college.
We also interviewed Diana Taurasi, but I didn't take a picture of her because franky, she scared the hell out of me. She is completely badass and I loved it!! Instead of shaking our hands, she gave us fist bumps. I'm fairly certain I didn't do it right and I lost all cred with her. Not that I had any to begin with....
Things are beginning to settle down here just a bit, so I hope to actually get out and see London a little more before I leave. I did get the chance to walk around Olympic Park the other day -- what a nightmare. It was wall to wall people and I could barely handle it. Below is a picture of the line at the official souvenir store at these Olympics (the picture doesn't do the line justice -- people were waiting an hour and a half just to get in the store -- not to mention the wait to check out). This, people, is the reason why none of you are getting presents from the Olympics:
Sorry to cut this entry short -- I promise when I get to see more of the city to report back post haste!
No comments:
Post a Comment