Cheer Up

Why can't all days be like the one when I turned 7? Despite lacking a full set of teeth and sporting a ridiculous Buster Brown bowl cut, I appear to be overjoyed by something in this picture. I don't think it's about the presents because, while I'm sure I collected some nice loot on this day, I can't say I remember one thing I got for my birthday in 1980. Still, something's got me totally jazzed in this photograph, and though I may never know exactly what it is, I sure wouldn't mind feeling this happy all the time.

That's why I've decided to keep the picture of this toothless birthday girl in the hideous knit dress on my refrigerator as proof that unbridled enthusiasm does indeed exist. It's the kind of enthusiasm that might help us overcome the dwindling daylight and our bouts of S.A.D. It's the kind of enthusiasm I may need to tap into to keep up this blog on a more regular basis. It's certainly the kind of enthusiasm I'm gonna need when I hit 35 in a couple of weeks because right now that birthday is going over like a lead balloon.

Feeling a little blue this raw November day? Go through your parents' old photo albums -- sometimes the key to finding happiness is just remembering that it was ever there in the first place.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Also serves as a good reminder that blue and red plaid is never a good furniture design option.

Robyn said...

God you're adorable. Clearly you were just psyched to have this new friend named Robyn who dug rainbows as much as you. ;)

Don't worry about 35. Buy yourself a horrendously overpriced pair of sweatpants; you'll feel fantastic. That's what I did.

One question: Why does it look like you're wearing a turtleneck dicky (remember those?!) OVER your shirt??

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting once again Sheil. I've missed your sage remarks. Just as an aside, I was 35on your 7th birthday!!! How do you think I feel now that you're turning 35? And Pauls, that was our bicentennial furniture; red, white and blue. Got it in 1976!!!

Carcich said...

Awesome pic! The girl I bought milk from at Stewarts yesterday had the same dental pattern as you did. Totally serious.

Hey Mrs. Conolly, did you get those slippers at Sears? I think my mom had that EXACT same pair...
,

Anonymous said...

I don't know what the hell she's wearing, but that little girl sure is cute!

I was actually going through old photos last night. I was struck by how much of Nicky I saw in the old pictures of me. It's a surreal feeling...

Steve-O said...

I think I've seen pictures of me at 7 waering a jacket made of the same material as that chair.

Anonymous said...

Sweet picture! I would pay big money for that couch now.

Seriously though -- I think that after a few ups and downs, eventually you learn to define happiness on our own terms.

-T

Anonymous said...

I can only assume that you were listening to "Get Happy!!," the latest release from Elvis Costello and The Attractions!

Anonymous said...

Please come spend some time with us in Florida and get some great sunshine. It does wonders for anything that ails you.
And our furniture was a beau-tiful red plaid that Mr. R picked out. Loved it !!!