Fun and Games. (Games! Get it? As in Olympic Games?)

Hello blog fans....both old and new.!

Much has changed in my life since I last posted on this site. The biggest difference? I moved to a new state. One which doesn't sell beer in grocery stores and closes major roadways without warning. But more on Pennsylvania later :).

The real reason I am (read: got bullied into) resurrecting this blog is because I'm at another Olympics. I'm covering the Vancouver Games for NBC Sports.


I arrived in Canada at the beginning of the week, and after spending a day in downtown Vancouver getting my marching orders, they shipped me up north to Whistler where more than half the Olympic events are taking place.  I'm staying right in the heart of Whistler Village which is a ski bum's heaven:  Roll out of your hotel around midday, take a short little walk to the base of the mountain, and ski until dark.


I'm part of a production team that will cover "breaking news" and other mini feature story lines over the next 2 weeks. Not always sure where my stuff will end up airing - it can be something they roll in during NBC's daytime coverage, part of their late night recap show, or even on the web. If I do get any specifics, I'll be sure to let you know. But for now, I'll try to share some of the sights as I see them.  So far, these Olympics are a lot less organized than the ones in Beijing, but they have the potential to be a lot more fun!  Thanks so much for checking in.   And don't forget to tune in to the Opening Ceremonies tonight!

 The view from my hotel room:

Our sound guy Tim on the left, along with the NBC correspondent I'm working with, Peter Alexander.  We're on the way up Blackcomb mountain to do a story on search and rescue dogs who look for avalanche victims buried in the snow.


Some more pics from the shoot with Nora the rescue dog




What better way to show how the rescue dogs work than to bury the reporter!

13 comments:

Pauls said...

Thanks for keeping us posted! Has meeting Nora allowed you to overcome your intense fear of dogs?

Unknown said...

Wait...What? When did you move to Pennsylvania? You didn't even tell me.

Anonymous said...

Look forward to more updates. Notice I didn't comment on moving to Pennsylvania

Kim said...

I didn't know that bullying could work so effectively with you. YAY!!!

Love this and can't wait to see more!

TomKAT said...

I lovin' your blog! Please keep it coming......

Mom said...

All I can say is, it's about time!!!!

Tricia said...

You have an intense fear of dogs??? Even Brewster? How come I didn't know this?

Robyn said...

YAY! Keep 'em comin'.....

Anonymous said...

Hi Sheila- I've missed your blog since I refuse to give in to the Facebook phenom. Thanks for bringing the blog back to life!

So jealous of your "work"! The pictures look like you're still somewhere in upstate New York! Snow, cold, skiing...

Please don't tell me that there is now another relative on Dan's side of the family that's scared of dogs!!!

Ginger T. (Dan's wife)

igetrealtv said...

NBC! The Olympics! Hey, it doesn't get better than that. I'm impressed. You go girl! Looks like your having a good time. Rock on! Always a fan! I'll stay tuned to your blog. Scott E

Anonymous said...

Sheila,
LOVE the blog and am so excited about your role in bringing it to life for us on and off the screen! Keep the pics coming and the stories. We're watching the men's luge and men's short track tonight! -- Diane

Deb said...

I have no comments or questions at this time but Molly would like to know if Nora is on Facebook?

kate said...

Saw this piece today while watching Olympics coverage. Nice!