The Big Get


As a pseudo journalist (let's face it, I'm not covering hard news over here), I am often faced with disappointment -- an interview that falls through at the last minute, a story that you think is a story but when you hear the real story isn't really a story at all, a potential source who turns out to be absolutely abysmal on camera, etc.  But for all the pitfalls, every once in a while you can land something, well, sorta big.  I got the chance to interview Lakers teammates, and now opponents at the Games, Kobe Bryant and Pau Gasol for a 2 and 1/2 minute feature that will air before their respective teams (USA and Spain) face off Saturday morning (U.S. time).  Turns out they gave me a pretty decent interview.  And I came away with the understanding that Pau Gasol is without a doubt the funniest person on the planet (look at how I was relegated to the back seat when the van picked him up for the interview?).   If you have any interest in the NBA (I know most of you don't), you should tune in on Saturday morning.  I daresay Kobe was actually somewhat charming.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm surprised Pau fit in the van. I've got some bad news. Mike and the Mad Dog is no more.

Anonymous said...

This post was so amazing I had to take the time to figure out how to actually respond to these blogs. I NEED to know how this affects your feelings about Dirk? AND I'm truly amazed by the miniscule number of "degrees" that now separate you from Mr. Nowitzki.

Sheila said...

Ryo - I sensed the end of MATMD was near. Never believed they would actually call it quits though! Ellen - Pau and I had a hilarious conversation in that van - it included my thoughts about Dirk. Pau just shook his head and said "I simply do not understand why women like that sweaty dude."

Anonymous said...

Kobe is just being nice because he is trying to get us to forget that he cheated on his wife. That Chris Collinsworth piece about Kobe was downright awful.

-t

Anonymous said...

Love it! Hopefully Pau can help you see the light re: Dirk.

Robyn said...

I am not a fan of the NBA, but all this Dirk talk had me curious, so I googled him.

Um, Sheil? Really?

Rob said...

That picture would be funnier if you guys were doing the "chinese eyes" thing...

Sheila said...

Pau was bombarded by some reporters before I hijacked him into the van -- they asked about the picture -- he was completely contrite. I still can't believe the team was collectively stupid enough to do something like that.