Wanna know what's worse than living paycheck to paycheck? Not knowing when the next paycheck is coming. That's the risk you take when you're a freelancer, and that's why I'm more eager than ever to know when my $600 economic stimulus check is coming from Uncle Sam. For weeks I've been wondering when they're going to be sent out. Today - while searching for a source of income for the month of July - I finally visited the IRS web site to find out the distribution schedule. I already have a list of items this money could go toward, including my ridiculously expensive immunization shots for China which health insurance won't cover, the queen-size mattress I've been wanting to get for over a year, or a much-needed cell phone upgrade. But instead it'll go right back to The Man himself, part of the 40% I'll pay in taxes as someone who is self-employed. I should call the government up and tell them not to even bother sending it. Maybe they can reimburse me the 41 cents they'll save on the stamp.
1 comment:
The current tax laws leave a lot to be desired. There is definitely an inequity in things. I have had to pay the Alternative Minimum Tax for the past two years...however, I think the biggest rip-off is the $2.47 that the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania still owes me from last year. Yes. You read that correctly. I am bitching about $2.47. While I don't usually get uppity about this much money, it was the circumstances that annoyed me so much. You see, the Commonwealth of PA income tax is incredibly simple. Basically, you take your income, multiply it by 3% or so (that is .03 Sheila) and send it in. When I got to the bottom line, I noticed a line that said that my tax refund was too small for them to process. They were going to round my $2.47 down to $0.00 so that way they would not have to send me a check. Just another case of the man trying to keep a good brother down.
-T.J.
Post a Comment