Turns out the greeting card I gave my mom today called it Mother's Day, not Mothers' Day. In keeping with the rules of grammar, though, isn't a day in honor of mothers (as in the plural of mother, as in more than one mother) technically
mothers' day? I'm a sorry excuse for an English major.
4 comments:
You stumped me on that one. I am still trying to figure out St. Patrick's day. Why is is abbreviated St. Paddy's? That makes no sense to me.
-T.J.
It's Mother's Day according to the AP Stylebook. No idea why.
Now I'm no English/grammar major (although I think I might have been in a previous life) wouldn't a card saying "Happy Mother's Day" be referencing a day devoted to your particular Mother? Whereas general signs hanging in a store should read "Happy Mothers' Day" in reference to all mothers?
Steve-O
I use the lazy person's reference for grammar and usage: type it in the search box at nytimes.com.
Post a Comment