Top 10 Fast Food Favorites, Go!

I got a lot of flack last month for liking the Shamrock Shake.  Are there other fast food favorites of mine I need to defend???

The Meximelt - I haven't had one of these in years, but I can't drive by a Taco Bell without thinking about this perfect pocket of melted cheese-n-beef.

The Junior Bacon Cheeseburger - Back in the day, Wendy's was the only joint that understood how to make a burger better: add bacon!

CPK's Original Chopped Salad - It's too bad California Pizza Kitchens don't exist in upstate New York, because then I could eat their chopped salad every day of the week. The tons of cheese, chunks of salami and sinful dressing make it almost as caloric as a Whopper, but darn if it isn't delish.

The Two Cheeseburger Meal - No mistaking this classic order, the former "Number 4" from Mickey D's.

The Breakfast Burrito - Breakfast should probably be its own category - which would include Burger King's French Toast Sticks and Croissan'wich - but the scrambled egg breakfast burrito from McDonald's is too good to leave out. (Note: they have a new McSkillet burrito now which has too many ingredients and looks difficult to eat - don't confuse this newbie with the original).

The Cheddar Melt - A limited promotional item from McDonald's circa 1994, this burger had melted cheese whiz and sauteed mushrooms on it. It was a dream.
The Veggie Wrap - My favorite thing to order at Subway, and no doubt the healthiest thing on this list.

The Fugi Apple Chicken Salad - Panera's best salad. Order it for the dressing alone.
The Filet-o-Fish - Standard fare for the Conolly family on Fridays during Lent!

The Chilito - Alas, Taco Bell no longer makes this part-chili, part-burrito item. Probably because my roommate Jen and I ate them out of stock when we were in college. It was close to perfect on its own, but even better, we learned, with a side order of sour cream.

I'm sure some of you will complain "where's the Big Mac??" or "what about the Colonel's Original Recipe?" Truth is, I've never had a Big Mac in my life (what's with all that beef??) and I can say the same about Kentucky Fried.  Am I missing out?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

chili cheese buritto is where it is at, but I am still planning my mcnugget tour of the world. I plan on publishing a guide book to the best mcnuggets. The chicken strips can kiss my ass.

-t

Robyn said...

Ahhh the Meximelt. Takes me back to skipping out of school and heading to the Aviation Mall food court to order one (or two!) of those. Afterwards I always marched across the way to Long John Silver's for a side of hush puppies — the only thing I ever ordered off that menu. They can keep their fish, but if they're just gonna fry up the batter? I'm there!

Anonymous said...

You're not missing anything at KFC. I can't stand the stuff. If you're going to go the fried chicken route, you're better off at Popeye's (I think there's still a few of them around) which is even greasier and much more tasty!

Kristen said...

No McNuggets? I remember loving those with you when they first came out. (Did that just make us sound old?). You pointed out that there was always one that is perfectly round. To this day, I cannot open one of those cardboard cartons without looking for the round one and thinking of you. My kids are like, "Yeah, mom, I know. Round one. Whippee."

Sheila said...

Here's the thing, Kris - I don't really think I ever enjoyed the McNugget despite ordering them repeatedly. I think it's because the perfectly round one always creeped me out a bit...

Anonymous said...

Robyn must be in heaven now that there are numerous Taco Bell/LJS combo restaurants where you order the burritos and hush puppies at the same time! For my family, it was LJS because there were always coupons in the paper and the whole family of 6 could eat for $10. As a "treat" we would sometimes get quarters from mom and dad and get to order a side of "crispies" - aka the drips of batter that floated in the grease until idiots like us paid them to clean out of their fryers. My other guilty pleasure was the McRib. Think about that one - beef ribs as real (and as boneless) as the chicken in the round McNuggets but oh so tasty!

-Steve

Kristen said...

Steve - my husband thought I was odd when I told him to ask for the "crumblies" at LJS one time. He gave me an odd look and said into the speaker, "My wife wants you to sweep up the gunk off the floor under the fryer so she can eat it."

Robyn said...

I had no idea these "crumblies/crispies" existed! Is this a secret "off the menu" item?? I guess I should have paid closer attention, because they sound right up my alley.

Carcich said...

Wow, great interest in fast food! Kudos Conolly for the compilation. MMMM, Cheddar Melt....
Interesting that you've never had a Big Mac?!! What are you? Best item on Big M's menu: Sausage Biscuit with Egg...no question.
High props to my current fast food favorites both at the Border: THe Grilled Stuft Burrito, and Cheesy Crunchy Gordita. Ridiculous both of them.
Note: McRib. Fun to say, but there is a reason it didn't last last Steve...

Anonymous said...

There's no better food on earth than McDonald's fries. Period.