I've never had a good response to the question "what's your idea of the perfect vacation?" Until now.
This morning my sister and I leave for what in my mind is the ultimate week-long getaway. We're headed to Indian Wells, California, and there's only one thing on the agenda: tennis. No, we won't be playing it. We'll be watching it. Six straight days of non-stop tennis, at one of the more prestigious professional tournaments in the country.
For some of you this must sound like torture. Even for huge tennis fans the idea of sitting for hours in 100-degree desert heat watching overpaid athletes bat a ball around is insane. But my sister and I are absolute diehards and can think of no better way to spend our time (and what is sure to be a ridiculous amount of money). My guess is by the middle of the week we'll grow a bit weary, especially when one of our favorites, Andy Roddick, inevitably loses in straight sets to a guy no one's ever heard of. At some point in the week we'll toss around the idea of skipping one of the sessions to see something other than the inside of a tennis arena. But then we'll snap-to and remember we aren't there to work on our tans, dammit, we're there for sport! Just thinking about it gives me the chills. Can't wait to get our game-watching faces on.
This morning my sister and I leave for what in my mind is the ultimate week-long getaway. We're headed to Indian Wells, California, and there's only one thing on the agenda: tennis. No, we won't be playing it. We'll be watching it. Six straight days of non-stop tennis, at one of the more prestigious professional tournaments in the country.
For some of you this must sound like torture. Even for huge tennis fans the idea of sitting for hours in 100-degree desert heat watching overpaid athletes bat a ball around is insane. But my sister and I are absolute diehards and can think of no better way to spend our time (and what is sure to be a ridiculous amount of money). My guess is by the middle of the week we'll grow a bit weary, especially when one of our favorites, Andy Roddick, inevitably loses in straight sets to a guy no one's ever heard of. At some point in the week we'll toss around the idea of skipping one of the sessions to see something other than the inside of a tennis arena. But then we'll snap-to and remember we aren't there to work on our tans, dammit, we're there for sport! Just thinking about it gives me the chills. Can't wait to get our game-watching faces on.
PS - I'm bringing my computer with me to Cali, but with all of the tennis-watching I'm not sure how often I'll get to log on :) Rest assured, blogging will continue upon my return...
2 comments:
Have fun Sheila and Paula!
I give it two days before you and Paula are at each others throats. Paula will be upset because you keep leaving the lights on in the hotel room and you will be upset because Paula can't calculate to the penny what 15% of your $37.28 lunch is for the tip.
-T
Post a Comment