I spent the day yesterday where I've spent it for the past 16 years (16 years!) - in the same city, with the same people, for the same event.
It started when the group of us were all members of the Villanova Pep Band, and we'd travel to Manhattan to play for our men's basketball team in the Big East Tournament at the Garden. Our accommodations were paid for, our responsibilities minimal. We were a group of young and dumb college kids let loose in the greatest city in the world, and I remember thinking that I never wanted Big East to come to an end.
It started when the group of us were all members of the Villanova Pep Band, and we'd travel to Manhattan to play for our men's basketball team in the Big East Tournament at the Garden. Our accommodations were paid for, our responsibilities minimal. We were a group of young and dumb college kids let loose in the greatest city in the world, and I remember thinking that I never wanted Big East to come to an end.
We're no longer young and dumb college kids (we're old and dumb now), but the spirit of Big East still runs through every one of us. I think that's why we all make an effort to get back to New York each year and keep the tradition going. Sure, as time goes on it becomes tougher to get there - people have families, obligations, other commitments. And most of us don't even make it to an actual basketball game anymore. But the basketball isn't what's important. It's the catching up with old friends, sharing a few too many beers with pals you haven't seen since the year before, and recounting the crazy times we had when we were, well, young and dumb.
To all my non-Novan friends who may decide to plan a milestone event on this particular March weekend someday down the road - I warn you now, I won't be there. God willing I'll be laughing with the band. In New York City. At Big East.
2 comments:
This was definitely one of the better Big East tournament weekends. I thoroughly enjoyed myself once again. BTW -- Who the hell books a vacation during Big East weekend? Here is a brief rundown of my favorite moments:
1) BJK wins MVP of the weekend for his analysis of his own prospect as a professional drinking game player..."It is like watching old people f**k".
2) Sheila gets the "coaches award" for (the fifth year in a row) trying to count all of the money for the bar tab and coming up with a different amount each time she tried.
3) Senator Murphy gets the "dumbass" award for somehow dropping Jane on her rear end.
4) Doug made it through the whole weekend without buying another bag of garbage.
-T
P.S. -- Good luck and congratulations to Hymes! -- You get a mulligan this year.
So I'm clearly way behind on your blog Sheils... new kitchens and twins have gotten the best of me... no excuse.
Sheils, great summary. It's my basketball drinking weekend of the year.
That's for the mulligan T. I will be there hell or warm light beer next year.
Post a Comment