I've been asking around about smartphones - as soon as my stupid contract is up I'm gonna get one - and the general consensus from anyone who owns one is that they wonder how they ever lived without it. It got me thinking about all the high-tech things we own that make our lives easier, and what would happen if we were forced to give them up. For instance, I wouldn't like it, but I could give up my dishwasher. You could definitely take away my alarm clock. And I've gone this long without an ipod. But there are just some things that I could not, would not, be able to hand over. Like my microwave. It's essentially my stove. Or my DVR. Granted, I watch entirely too much TV, but with the DVR I can watch it on my own time! Or my laundry sorter. So a three-bin canvas laundry basket isn't exactly high-tech, but I could never go back to doing laundry without it.
What could you give up, and what wouldn't they be able to take away over your dead body?
8 comments:
Really Sheil, no iPod?
I absolutely, positively could not live without e-mail. Especially in my line of work. E-mail cuts way down on having to type stuff up and talk to actual human beings. Plus I don't know how people kept track of all those faxes and letters back in the day. Monstrous paper trail = waste of time AND trees.
I could easily, however, ditch my dishwasher. I don't believe in them.
Stupid cell phone carriers and their stupid contracts and their stupid rules about which phones they carry - I want an iphone and I want Verizon. This is America, why can't I get both!?!?!?
If I had to choose one piece of technology, I would say that I can not live without my DVR. I can't say that I even know what time the shows that I watch are even on. I just watch them whenever I want. Now I never miss an episode of Lost, The Gilmore Girls, or Cop Rock.
I guess that my #2 would be netflix. I am addicted to netflix. I have seen many great movies that I would not have seen otherwise:
Who Killed the Electric Car
Sicko
Jesus Camp
The King of Kong
Walk on Water
Joyeux Noelle
The Lives of Others
Eulogy
Who the #$&^ is Jackson Pollack
God Grew Tired of Us
Downfall
Super Size Me
The Motorcycle Diaries
With that said...I think that I could also move to Alaska and live off of the land like Richard Proenneke (if you haven't seen his documentry...look it up...it is worth it).
-T
Speaking as someone who hasn't had a dishwasher in 13 years, I really wish I had one. But obviously I can live without it.
Could NOT live without a washer and dryer though. I went the first 10 years in the NYC area without one. Laundromats SUCK! I don't miss those Sunday afternoons.
I live on e-mail. And IM. And my friends' blogs. :) It's an obsession. Could not give up my Mac.
AND my car. Didn't have one of those for 8 years either. I could never go without one again.
Powerbook, Cellphone, DVR, in that order....nosehair trimmer, not a neccesity,but sure is nice.
Spellcheck IS however a NECESSITY.
I'm with you on the DVR thing (I dedicated a post to the topic on my blog - I think that's called "cross promotion".) I feel like I never watch live TV anymore. Not sure it's a good thing always. Isabella (2) thinks now that anything she watches can be paused.
Post a Comment