Race Day
Good morning! Actually, you all just went to bed in the States, but I'm gearing up for the Men's Downhill Skiing medal race taking place in just a couple of hours.
I grew up in upstate New York, and one of my bigger regrets is never really learning how to downhill ski. I'm too much of a scaredy cat now to even try it, but after visiting the alpine venue the other day and looking at all those racers fly down what is an excruciating course*, I was riveted.
These shots were taken the other day in what's called the mixed zone where press can grab athletes after their training runs.
Here I am getting some sound with one of the veterans on the USA team
Marco Sullivan.
You can't get a sense from this photo, but there is row upon row of press from all over the world standing in these gates just waiting for a glimpse of the athletes. Bode Miller eventually walked by press row, but I couldn't be bothered to ask
him anything :).
*If you have any interest in skiing, you must tune into this race. The downhill course is one of the steepest in the world. I stood at the bottom of the final jump of the men's hill and I saw guys wiping out on their way down. This course is going to eat some guys up. It will be an interesting one!
Where did it all go?
It has been widely reported that these Games cost Russia 50 plus billion dollars. (Which doesn't include any of the money invested in the private sector to support the Olympics). A chunk of that 50 billion was spent on this....
...the road leading from Adler (where all the coastal venues are located) up to the mountains (where I am based). I read one account that said this one road cost 9 billion dollars - the total cost of the entire London Olympics! Staggering numbers. One more note about this road and every road in Russia - don't be fooled by that dotted white line. It does NOT mean you can pass in one way traffic. This road had cars flying at us in the opposite direction. Who knew?!? If I were behind the wheel we could have been toast!
Meat, It's What's for Breakfast
My Olympic account wouldn't be complete if I didn't share with you what I am eating. Our hotel offers complimentary breakfast. Which is an awesome concept.....if I were jazzed to eat meat every morning :)
Every once in a while we do get a chance to get out (to the one restaurant in town) for dinner. Here I am after a nice meal in the ski town of Rosa Khutor. Why do I look so pained? Because I'm trying to split an 8,000 ruble meal among 7 people and let's just say I'm having trouble with the math :)
Off to chow down on some pancetta and starting the day. Missing you all.


4 comments:
Love the insider view. Just one question I'm sure everyone wants to know - are you getting Marriott points in your snazzy new hotel? The downhill run looked scary as heck on TV, can only imagine what it looks like in person.
You and math are such great friends! Thanks for the insight to this other rorld, awesome stuff!
You and math are such great friends! Thanks for the insight to this other rorld, awesome stuff!
You and math are such great friends! Thanks for the insight to this other rorld, awesome stuff!
Post a Comment