Last day in Russia! I've been here for about a year, right? Usually the final day at the Olympics is bittersweet, but this time around it's just....sweet. I miss my family. I miss America. I miss vegetables. A few thoughts for this final blog post.
May the force be with you, Marriott
It's been a love-hate relationship with the hotel chain that I've called home for the past month. I still can't believe that Marriott corporate didn't send over a slew of managers from the States to help with the opening of this monstrosity. Structurally speaking this may be the nicest hotel I've ever stayed in. It is huge, almost excessive. With its 3 restaurants, the football-field sized gymnasium and Olympic sized pool, it looks like something you'd see in Vegas. But nothing here was ever quite.....right. There are still areas of the hotel that are under construction. In addition to the hundreds of NBC-ers, the Marriott was home to the entire Norway sporting delegations and much of the Russian teams as well. The staff was completely overwhelmed by us. I'm not certain what is next for the Marriott. There are lots of rumors floating about that this area is going to become a playground for the rich, that wealthy Russians will turn to the mountains of Sochi for their ski vacations instead of fleeing to more traditional places like Austria and Switzerland. I hope for its sake that this happens. Until then, I leave you with the architecture model that sits in the main lobby. Maybe someday this place will actually resemble the rendition.
Good Eggs
From my temporary home away from home to my temporary family away from home.....Without a doubt the single best thing about doing the Olympics is working with the best people from all over the world. We somehow attract the best camera ops, sound techs, editors, fixers, production assistants and on-air talent...all in one place. There are too many people to single out, but one of my favorites, who kept me laughing for almost 4 weeks straight, is correspondent Sal Masekela. I will miss his multiple accounts of willingly posing for countless photos with Russian natives who called him "chocolate surprise" to his face. And his play-by-play of ladies figure skating is worthy of a comedy show. I've got dibs to produce it.
Thank You
One final note to all of you back home - thanks so much for reading! To be perfectly blunt, my writing can stand the help of an editor, so I appreciate you sticking with me. I'm always surprised at the feedback I get -- it's nice to know that someone other than my mom actually reads my blog. Thanks for all the comments, all the likes on Facebook, and all the support!
4 comments:
Thanks for taking the time to write...To the Point. Every day, I get up and the first thing I do is check for a new blog--even before coffee!! I have, again, tremendously enjoyed all you've shared! Congratulations on a job well done under difficult circumstances, Now, hurry home--you have been greatly missed!!!!
We have all so enjoyed experiencing some of the goings on through your eyes. Thanks so much for sharing. We couldn't be more proud!
Sheil...it has been great checking everyday for more news from our favorite producer! Dewey and I have enjoyed reading every word of your blog! Whether you be at the Olympics or RI, we will always be watching for you!
Great job! Travel safe!!
I've totally enjoyed reading your blog and look forward to it every 2 years!
Onward to Brasil!
Joe Cruz (ND and Skalcoholiks alum and friend of your sister)
Post a Comment