Star struck
Many of my colleagues working at the Games
try to grab a pic of their favorite athlete while they are here. Not
me - the other day I found myself giddy over the sight of an
international journalist.
David
Remnick is currently editor of the New Yorker magazine and whose work I
was introduced to when I was in grad school. He is a contributor for NBC
during the Olympics -- I think sits and chats with Costas (when Costas
is hosting that is -- poor Bob!). Remnick spoke at our production
seminar early in the Games and I hunted him down afterward to say hello.
I felt a bit like I was in
one of those Chris Farley skits as I stammered "Remember when you wrote
that book? You know that book Lenin's Tomb? Yeah....that was awesome!"
David seemed only slightly weirded out when I asked to get my picture
taken with him.
USA's Digs
Just
a couple of other notes on this Thursday. The other day I was assigned
to film inside one of the Athletes Villages. It was the one where all
the endurance athletes are staying (cross country skiing and biathlon).
For security reasons the media is given extremely limited access to the
athletes' residence. Any crew who wishes to film has to get additional
clearance on top of the other security layers already in place. In
fact, I was told I couldn't even use my iPhone to snap personal
pictures. I did manage to sneak a shot of the house where some of the
biathletes are living.
It looked like a Swiss chalet, a condo you'd see
at a ski resort (about the closest thing resembling anything ski
resort-like in these mountains!). An interesting note, the athletes
aren't allowed to display any American flags. Too much of a target I
guess.
It
was here at the Athletes' Village where you can easily see some of the
beauty found at the higher elevations here in the mountains. We've had a
number of bluebird days where I've had to layer up both in clothing and
in sunscreen. Russia may be a bit rough in parts, but it sure is
beautiful others.
Tie For Gold
Lastly,
you may have seen that there was a tie -- a tie!! -- for the gold medal
in the women's downhill event yesterday. It is a fairly timely result
given the short piece of mine about timing that is airing tonight on the Olympic Zone. I'm not
sure what Bob's status is for prime time coverage but let's hope he's
back at command post!

2 comments:
Really liking the posts/pics!
Safety procedures are very interesting and good to hear. Totally love your geek moment!!! Of course you wanted a picture with him! Way to be a stocker. Thanks for info on your stories. I've been watching the Zone - it's very well done. Also picturing you in the scrum of journalists, trying to grab skiers after their run. The tie was nearly unfathomable. You're missing the big storm. We'll save some snow for you.. Keep the posts coming. They're great! JR
Post a Comment