The Hunt for Red Mittens

I'm holding Oprah Winfrey personally responsible for making my last few mornings a living hell.

Last week, the queen of talk gave her entire studio audience the must-have souvenir of these Winter Games - those famous red mitts.


The mitts were already popular to begin with, but as you know, once something gets play on Oprah, it becomes larger than life.  This is great for people selling the mitts, not so great for people who have yet to buy them.

The only store in Whistler Village that carries the official mitts ran out just days into the competition.  We found out they got an additional, but limited, supply every night in an overnight shipment.   So if you wanted to get your mighty mitts, you had to get to the store early.  Here's what the line looked like the other morning a full hour before the doors even opened! (TJ is at the end of the line looking thrilled :))


Unfortunately, waiting in line didn't guarantee that you'd even get your hands on a pair of the coveted mitts because there were so few to begin with, so that made your position in line very important.  Also, hoarding dozens of mittens at a time was expressly prohibited:

 

Once we actually got into the store, it was anarchy near the mitten bin.  (A heads-up to the retail geniuses at the Olympic Store -- not a good idea to put all of the gloves in a tiny bin in the far back corner of your shop -- it was absolute anarchy getting them! )

The story does have a happy ending, though.....if you're wondering if we ever got our hands on the mitts, wonder no more: 

 

Now that I have my red mittens, it seems the Olympics are officially over.  Sure, there are 2 more days of competition left, but I've filed all my stories and am on autopilot for now.  Just standing by for any breaking news up in the mountains.  In the meantime, TJ left this morning.  It was such a treat to have him here for the week.  I'm glad he got the chance to get out here.  Thanks T, and safe travels!

5 comments:

Mom said...

I'll understand if I'm not on the list of recipients. At least, I think I will!!

Anonymous said...

DIBBS ON MITTS!! -SUE

Anonymous said...

Checking in from Phoenix. How come I see no mention of leaving me alone in line so you could go back and nap though?

-T

Rob said...

Each pair, hand knit by Inuit villagers in the northern-most reaches of Canada...

TomKAT said...

I've got to hand it to you, Sheila.....can't believe you got TJ to stand in line for anything less than free booze or Big East tickets. Congrats....those mittens were a real "get"!

Thanks for keeping us behind the scenes with your blog. I have anxiously awaited each entry and totally enjoyed each one. Job well done, as always!! Safe travels home.