Top Ten Favorite Movies, Go!

At my sister's urging, I bit the bullet and finally joined Facebook.   And already I'm complaining about it.  Mainly because people from all walks of my life will judge me by what I'm forced to write in those boxes labeled "activities" and "interests".  I feel like "sitting on the couch and watching TV" doesn't qualify as a legitimate interest, even though at the moment it's what I'm most interested in.  Another one of those little boxes asked me to write down my favorite movies.  Which is always difficult for me to do.  But after thinking about it for a couple minutes I came up with a Top Ten list.  At least my top ten favorites for right now =)

10. Beautiful Girls:  The setting for this movie isn't too different from where I grew up (a middle class town where the winters are tough), and these guys aren't too different from guys I'd hang out with (working class dudes who like to entertain themselves and drink a lot of beer).

9.  Tommy Boy:  The standard by which I judge every movie that dares call itself a comedy.

8.  The Way We Were:  One of those pictures that make women swoon (hello Mr. Redford), but it's not clean and tidy at the end and I love it because of that.

7.  Ride With the Devil:  Not for everyone - the pace is slower than slow - but a must-see if you have any appreciation for Ang Lee's films.

6.  Swingers:  Another movie about a group of guys who go to great lengths to entertain themselves.  I sense a theme.

5.  Welcome to the Dollhouse:  While I wasn't anywhere near as nerdy as Dawn Wiener when I was 12, I still think I shared a lot of her same insecurities.  I had high expectations for the director after seeing this movie, but this is the only Todd Solondz film I even remotely like.

4.  Miss Congeniality:  An out-of-character choice for me, this decidedly cheesy chick flick contains some of Sandra Bullock's best work, and Ben Bratt ain't so bad on the eyes either.

3.  Half Nelson:  Ryan Gosling's Dan Dunne is the kind of teacher I would have had a crush on in middle school...self-assured and wounded all at the same time.

2.  Once:  I wasn't sure what I thought of this movie when I first saw it.  But something compelled me to watch it again.  And again.  And again.  Absolutely go rent this beautiful story about people who play beautiful music. 

1.  The Sound of Music:  A classic love story with singing and dancing.  What's not to love!!  

13 comments:

Robyn said...

I admit I'm sad that DPS has been bounced out of your top 10, but I agree wholeheartedly on "Beautiful Girls" (somewhere in my Top 5) and "Tommy Boy." The Spade-Farley combo is comedic genius.

Also, I expect a full update on anyone from our past who contacts you via Facebook. Once again, I'm content to live vicariously...

Anonymous said...

Nope. We need to convince Robyn to join Facebook too! No living vicariously!

I think I can safely say that none of your top 10 are in my top 10. Although I do like "Beautiful Girls." Never seen "Tommy Boy" but it just always seemed like the type of humor I loathe.

Of course, I thought I'd feel that way about "Kingpin" too, and ultimately found it to be a piece of comedic genius. There's nothing quite as funny as Bill Murray in that ridiculous hairpiece.

Unknown said...

I stay away from all of the "social" websites like facebook and myspace. I am not a big fan of having a lot of information on myself out there. I like to keep a low profile.

I'll tell you though...you have not lived until you see El Topo. Best Movie EVAR!

-T

Anonymous said...

Ride with the Devil? Seriously? I'd rather gouge my eyes out with spoons than watch that movie again. Not even Jon Rhys Myers could save that flick for me.

Carcich said...

Gather ye rosebuds while ye may, Old Time is still a-flying...

Facebook is the Antichrist.

Groundhog Day. =)

Robyn said...

:)

And speaking of "Groundhog Day," "Lost in Translation."

Anonymous said...

And lest not forget that the best movie ever made is Bring it on.

-t

Amy said...

I'm a happy hold out, too! :) though Mike and Lara are on so I do the occasional "let me look at something but I'm not going to join" thing. :)

Robyn said...

I caved and registered last night, thinking that way I could just look at others' profiles. Doesn't work that way. It's so high school...all this 'friending' you have to do. Now I don't know what to do. Haven't set up a profile or anything, but my buddy Liz already found me and "friended" me. Ugh....

Carcich said...

That's it. "I'm Just Sayin" is toast...enter Mr. Facebook.

Carcich said...

I am implying that Robyn is gonna be hooked, not myself...i'm staying strong. I'm also procrastinating work.

Robyn said...

I hear Facebook is an excellent way to procrastinate work. I'm just sayin'. Right, Sheil?

Anonymous said...

Facebook is actually a CIA/NSA-backed company that the agencies are using to create massive databases on Americans without having to deal with that pesky congressional oversight.

I'm just sayin.

-T