My very good friend Ellen is 6 years younger than I am. I like to think I'm "hip and happenin'" enough that our age difference is hardly noticeable. But then I do something that makes her look at me like I'm from another generation entirely. The other day, for instance, we were talking about someone who we both think is an incompetent disaster and I said, "that guy doesn't know shit from shinola." She had never heard that phrase in her life. It occurred to me that I got it from my father. And then it occurred to me that it's not the only thing I've picked up from mom and dad:
I write the date on canned goods when I buy them so I know which can to open first when I head to the pantry.
Even if I'm not in the market for a house or a car or a boat or electronic equipment or random pieces of furniture....I memorize the classifieds as if I were.
I have a sign on my refrigerator door that says "shut tightly."
When someone orders something at a restaurant and I want the same thing, I don't say anything, I just hold up 2 fingers to the waitress. And then I laugh in spite of myself.
I essentially wash my dishes before putting them into the dishwasher.
I have a number of Bob James songs on my playlists.
And finally.....prunes have someone found their way into my diet. God help me.
5 comments:
That Shit vs. Shinola line had me recalling lines from The Jerk -- and brings be back to your previous post on movies. I think that the Jerk is definitely in my top 3...I digress.
Soundbite here:
http://www.moviewavs.com/0038475992/MP3S/Movies/Jerk/alright.mp3
Dates on the cans Sheil -- Really? How many cans of stewed prunes do you actually buy that you need to date them all?
As for picking things up from my parents here is my list:
1) Saying "Shit" all of the time
2) Windexing all of the car windows before a road trip
3) Investing heavily in all sizes of ziploc bags and putting them to good use in the kitchen -- and everywhere else in the house. It is almost a disorder.
-T
LOL. I've never heard that phrase either. Do you also find yourself ordering the "early bird special" and asking the waitress to "Speak up, dearie!"?
I wash my dishes before I wash them again, but the others on the list are all you...
Bob James on the playlist... you and every hip-hop artist ever.
Good one. Shit vs. Shinola takes the cake though. No strike that, writing on nonperishables does.
I DVR the evening news.
P.S. I had Bob James in college. And Grover Washington.
Post a Comment