.....you're eating pork for breakfast every day, you take your life in your hands as a pedestrian crossing any street, and random strangers come up to you begging to have their picture taken with you (I've posed for the camera with so many Chinese babies now I feel like the President!)
Only five days into my trip and I already feel like I've seen a lifetime's worth of stuff. That's why it has taken me so long to post on the blog -- it's just been go, go, go since landing at the airport, which was scary in its own right -- some official looking guy grabbed my passport and my working visa and took off. I had no idea where he went, all I know is he took my only forms of identification and split, not to be seen for 45 minutes. I had just landed in the country and nearly had a heart attack.
Since then, though, it's been great. I couldn't have asked for better story assignments. I've been paired with a local Chinese American TV reporter named Eyee who grew up in San Diego and moved to Beijing 5 years ago. She's fluent in Mandarin and has been an awesome resource for me and the crew. Here she is (in the red shirt) talking with a family who lives in the traditional Hutong -- it's an unbelievable part of the city made up of hundreds of small little alleyways, barely big enough for a car. It's a fascinating community because it's so old school and such a different way of life from the new Beijing that's emerging (new construction all over the place!)
Our next assignment was about the famous Chinese street food scene. Scorpions, silkworms and sea horses on a stick. No thanks!!!!
We've hit a lot of snags trying to shoot in the city. We're supposed to have government clearance (we carry around all kinds of paperwork that says we're allowed to shoot), but it doesn't stop officials from putting their hand in our camera and causing us much stress! Here, we were trying to take simple shots of a new shopping plaza in Beijing. A security guard was never too far away...
The Games begin in 3 short days, and once they're up and running I'm not sure how much more of the city I'm actually going to see. But I'll be in touch when I can. In the meantime tune in when you can - my pieces are airing all over the place (during the half hour Olympic Zone show before the network coverage begins, on cable stations throughout the day, and once in a while on the big network show). Hope everyone is doing well......Zaijian for now!
14 comments:
Incredible...
k
Oh my god, that first pic with the bottom toothed kid is priceless. You look great! I am waiting right now in DC for my 13 hour flight over and this blog makes me giddy with anticipation. Thanks for posting and talk soon!!!!
Thanks for the update! I'm generally no fan of small children, but that baby is too cute for words. I am obsessed with all things Olympics. Matt Lauer gave me a tour of the Forbidden City this morning. I'm prepping my DVR for some serious coverage.
I've been checking your blog constantly, waiting for this! Try to keep the updates comin'. I need to live vicariously...
Oh, and that 'Seahorses on a Stick' photo did nothing to help my morning sickness. Blech.
Seahorses. Mmmmmmm...crunchy.
Sounds all too exciting for us to comprehend. My only news today is that I took a free yoga class in Schroon Lake and had to take 2 advil afterwards!!!! Dawe said not to stand your chopsticks straight up in your rice. Considered very bad manners I guess. She'll be sharing more goodies with you that she got on a competitor's morning show!!
Great post! I'm a random friend of Paula's from college. neat stuff.
Carcich - Beijing awaits your arrival! Pauls - I may bring a Chinese baby home with me in my suitcase. Rob & Robyn - don't underestimate the nutritional value of fried bugs on a stick. Ma - they do tai chi out on the lawn every morning here, you'd love it. Bechtel - nice to hear from you!
Thanks for sharing! It's great fun to live vicariously. Hope all is going well. Miss you. Meg
Hey Sheil! And Robyn and Paula and Annie and everyone else. :)
I think of you every time I see anything Olympic related, and that currently means about 1000 times a day! Have fun, work hard!
So excited for you. Who would have guessed that tiny little Brownie was destined for such great endeavers. I will live vicariously thru you and your adventures.
PS. Baby was cute BUT not as cute as Kostyn.
I don't think anyone is as cute as Kostyn=)
That is awesome. Thanks for the update. I am SOOOOO jealous.
-T
Just watched the story on the food market. Great story. Did you try the seahorses or centipedes?
Post a Comment