"The Real China" and more shots

The Games are finally underway and I'm just now getting caught up on all my assignments.  I've filed 5 stories so far, they've aired all over the place on network, cable, websites, you name it (In case you hadn't heard, NBC is airing 3600 hours of coverage this year!)  One of my pieces airs tonight (Sunday morning for you east coasters in the States) during the USA/China men's basketball game.  Part of the story talks about how basketball is huge in this country -- even in poor villages outside of Beijing.  Here are a couple pics from one of our shoots.  We traveled by van into one of the poorest slums I've ever seen.  Mountains of trash were piled up right next to rows of cement walled rooms where people were living.  The stench was indescribable.  


Here's a pic from a shoot we did with the Olympics' Number One Superfan (second guy from the left).  Lindsay Soto, one of our correspondents (the blonde) had to interview this Olympic fanatic about how he traveled from Hangzhou to Beijing....1800 miles.....on his rickshaw!  I actually didn't believe his story.  It was too bizarre to be true.


I didn't get inside the big stadium (more commonly known as the Bird's Nest) for the Opening Ceremonies.  I hear they told people to arrive 5 hours before the Ceremonies began!  Instead, former soccer player and Sportsdesk correspondent Julie Foudy invited us to the USA Hospitality House to watch the coverage. 


I left the USA House just before the Opening Ceremonies were over and got back to the hotel in time to see the fireworks exploding over the Bird's Nest.  This shot was taken from the courtyard in the back of my hotel.  All the workers at the hotel came running out back and started taking pictures.   Aside from my former boss, I've never seen anyone get so excited about fireworks!!!


That's it for now -- hopefully all of you are well.  I am staying safe and sound (the murder at the Drum Tower has all of us on high alert).  Missing you all!  

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You must be having such a blast. Will be watching your segment during the basketball game!

Anonymous said...

Ugh! We turned off the game before the end of the first quarter because we had to leave camp. Back at Mom's house we didn't open the computers until too late to see that your piece was scheduled. We'll keep watching and hoping to see one or more. Looks like your having a great time. We are all jealous! Be safe and keep us posted!

Anonymous said...

3600 hours of coverage? I may be on target to watch all of them! So sorry I missed your calls over the weekend. A few thoughts so far: opening ceremonies were absolutely incredible, Bob Costas seems especially loopy during these Olympics, the Chinese are MONSTERS in badminton (my new fave sport), psynchronized diving is possibly the dumbest event ever, and I couldn't be more proud of the U.S. men's relay team. Suck it, France.

Robyn said...

It's worth saying again: Suck it, France.

Keep letting us know when your spots will air! Kostyn and I are watching lots of coverage...

Carcich said...

Suck it, France. One of the funniest things I have read in a long time...hilarious.

Sheila is working incredibly hard and it's inspiring to see the effort of her and the entire crew at Sportdesk...everyone should be incredibly proud of her. I know I am.

Robyn said...

Carcich - I wanna know when your stuff airs, too!

Carcich said...

Hey Robyn! Any "Field" competitions of Track and Field, shot put, high jump, long jump, hammer throw etc...is being edited by me. Been prepping all week and D-day is tommorrow (Friday morning) when Track and Field begins. Stay tuned!

Robyn said...

I'm a track and field junkie. I'll be watching!