Culture shock: All NBC workers got a phone when we arrived, and I thought we just got stripped down versions because they had no voicemail on them. Come to find out the Chinese don't use voicemail. No one here gets it with their cell phone package. Instead, if they want to reach someone and that person isn't there, they will just send a text that says "call me". A writer I met who is from the U.S. but lives in Beijing says it's the thing he loves most about this country -- not having to listen to or answer voicemail!
Language Barrier: I'm surprised at the number of people who know English here. (That group doesn't include our drivers, none of them speak English, this can be very frustrating or very funny depending on your mood and your deadline. But I digress.) But the thing about the people who know English is that they only know a couple of key phrases. I bumped into a Chinese person on the elevator at the main press center the other day and I said "oh! I'm so sorry!" and he turned to me with a big smile and said "You're welcome!"
5 comments:
Love the posts Sheil. Keep them coming.
-t
Sheil - my dad just called me to tell me you were in the Post Star....
http://www.poststar.com/articles/2008/08/14/news/local/13815838.txt
He is tickled pink!
I just came online to tell you the news Kris beat me to. You're famous, yo. And I can say 'I knew ya when...' You go, girl.
I love the Post Star mention...but can't they spare the space for a feature article? Is there really that much going on in Glens Falls? You got jipped.
I agree with Paula -- especially since 46.14% of the characters used in the article were originally penned by you.
-T
Post a Comment