Listen To Your Mother

I love my mother.  But sometimes she tells me to do some pretty ridiculous things.  "If you're cold, shut the window" is one of her favorites whenever I stay at her house.  Also:  "Do you need to use the bathroom?" whenever we leave a restaurant.  (It's a safe bet, ma, that at 34 years of age I know when it's time to check the plumbing). So it should come as no surprise that when the entire Conolly clan went hiking this weekend, my eyes rolled all the way to the back of my head when mom said "make sure you pack the bug hats."  Sigh. Fine, I thought, I'll put the darn bug hats in my backpack, but that's exactly where they're staying.  No way I'm gonna be wearing one of those things.  

Guess I forgot how horrible the black flies are up north this time of year.  Turns out mom truly does know best.

Here are some more pics from two very easy Adirondack hikes.  This one was taken before the bugs became unbearable....


A lesson from the Paul Conolly School of Cartography:


Those were from the top of Big Crow.  The ones below are from the top of Owl's Head Mountain.  Cascade Mountain (one of the more popular high peaks) is in the background.


Can't get enough of this map stuff.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We certainly are quite a crew, aren't we? Those bug hats did come in handy, though.

Carcich said...

The father's speech in the movie "Parenthood" said it best. "There's no goal line in parenting, no end zone where you spike the ball and that's it . . ."

Kudos to the Conolly's for getting out and enjoying one of the great treasures in this country, The Adirondacks....NICE PICS!

megan said...

Not even really sure what to say about this. ;-) XOXO Meg