So my retired parents have adopted a new, and if you ask me, alarming hobby.
The way they explain it, on warm days like the ones we've had recently, they pull a couple of those plastic lawn chairs out from the garage, drag them to the middle of the driveway, crack open a couple cans of beer, and just sit there enjoying the weather. I suppose I should just chalk the whole thing up to two country bumpkins, as my sister so eloquently put it, "channeling their inner white trash." Still, I can't get the picture out of my head of these old farts sitting on lawn chairs which aren't actually on the lawn. "We can't put them on the lawn, Sheila. That'd be ridiculous. The lawn is still covered in snow!" Right, mom. That would be ridiculous. But sitting in lawn chairs on a partially melted driveway next to a snow-covered lawn.....now that's completely logical! Ahhhh, parents.
8 comments:
I love your parents. They are too funny!!! And I think I detect a little jealousy of their new hobby. If only my royalties from the WNYT commerical were making me rich enough to do the same.
Now if your dad had cars and/or boats up on blocks and their parts laying around then maybe I could see the W.T. connection.
The sad thing is, our dad does have boats up on blocks and parts lying around.
OK, I think it's time I commented. Only hope I'm doing this right!! There's nothing like a glass of wine or a can (yes, can..sorry) of beer in the driveway after a tough hike in the woods and some yard work. You kids will realize some day. It's the life!!
Ann Marie (Sheila's mom)
I'm with Ann Marie on this one!
In fact, I've been known to drink a beer (not while pregnant, mind you) in my neighbor's driveway while we watched our kids play in the back yard. I'm sure you'll have all sorts of comments to make on that one!
Kudos to the Conolly's and sign me up for their job! I may have to swing by with my own plastic Adirondack chair....
Ann Marie and Paul, I'm with ya on the hiking, the drinking, the driveway-hangin'. I'm just not feelin' the cans.
Kudos to you for getting the most out of retirement!
Sheila, you're jealous. It's never a bad time for a beer but I'm surprised your Mom is not drinking wine.
Sheil -- I too am going to call jealousy on this one. I mean...come on...you did do a beer funnel out of a tuba.
Hello Pot. Meet Kettle.
-T
Post a Comment