It goes without saying that I send my own mother good wishes on Mothers' Day. But something I don't do often enough is remember the other mothers in my life -- my close friends who don't just pull off, but actually excel at, what I think is the single most difficult job in the world.
There's Kristen who was the first to set the bar 8 years ago when she had David. And boy did she set it high. He is without a doubt the most polite young man I know, and his little sister is following right in his footsteps. Kris just re-joined the workforce after a long time away. She was nervous to get back into it, but I'm sure the tasks she's facing at the office are a cakewalk compared to the ones she's already mastered at home.
There's Hillary. To say that Hillary is driven is an understatement. One of the best in her class at Duke, now a successful doctor....on top of it, she's got two girls, the kind that, if you're pregnant, make you hope it's a girl. Any time I visit, 6-year-old Ellie always ends up teaching me something. Last night it was how to play "Mastermind." Looks like Ellie is gonna be just like her momma - one smart cookie.
There's Elizabeth, also the mother of two girls. I get to see Elizabeth in mom-mode more than any of my other friends. Those times - when I'm hanging with Meghan and Trudie in the kitchen and in the playroom and in the driveway and on the sledding hill and on snowshoes and in the park - it sounds strange to say it, but they're some of my most cherished moments. It's a tribute to Elizabeth that I enjoy her children's company so much.
There's Kim, mother to an angelic little boy. I've never met Nicky in person (this is unacceptable I know), but I have his picture plastered on my refrigerator. His eyes are wide as saucers, almost soulful. Every time I look at them I'm reminded of how grateful I am to know his mom and call her my friend.
There's Amanda who taught me a thing or two about the sacrifice it takes to be a mom -- let's face it, she went through hell after childbirth, and she's got the surgery and rehab and therapy to prove it. Amanda let me hijack her son for hours when I was at their house for dinner one night and never once did that "helicopter mom" thing when parents hoover over their kid like they're gonna break. Even when I banged poor little Matty's head on the corner of the coffee table! (Sorry buddy!)
There's Tricia who experienced her own share of pain before giving birth to baby Ryan. It's difficult because he's so-damn-cute, but if you ever happen to be in the same room as Ryan and his mom, don't look at him. Look at his mom. It's the purest expression of joy you'll ever see.
And there's Robyn, who has so many unbelievable talents - devoted wife, community volunteer, award-winning writer among them - you had to wonder how motherhood would...well....how it would fit. The verdict is in, folks. After spending a weekend with my best friend and her new son last fall, motherhood suits her more than I ever imagined it could. (The picture above is of Kostyn, nearly 1 year old. I'm not playing favorites, I just know Rob posts pics of her kid and I don't want to post other kids pics without permission. Plus, he's just plain adorable...)
So hats off to all the moms in my life (and to the moms-to-be: Kim again! and Amy too!). I'm not so sure children are in my future, but if I ever did become a mom I'd have some pretty tough acts to follow. Happy Mothers' Day.
7 comments:
All these kids are pretty lucky to have you in their lives too Sheesh.
You're too sweet. Thanks so much Sheila.
We'll definitely have to rectify the situation and make sure Nicky and his sister-to-be meet super-cool Auntie Sheila very soon...
Very nice Sheil! Thank you!
And, you are one cool honorary Aunt.
Thanks. And I second what Kris said. Some of my favorite pics of Kostyn are the ones of you and he, both all smiles. Precious.
Thanks guys, but my part is the easy part. I show up for a few hours and the kids make me laugh. Doesn't get any better than that....
thanks for thinking of me Sheila! you're the one that is the best! :)
sheila - of course I'm reading this a week late - (Hi Pauls!) But thank you - you are a favorite friend of my girls, too! I think they'll definitely need cool friend Sheila to teach them all the trix of texting and share her multi-media expertise! We love you - h aj e and m
Post a Comment